Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The terrible twos

What is terrible twos?
It is a time when toddlers learn to assert themselves and test limits

It is the way two-year-olds express their emotions. Raw and powerful emotions at age two. They will show you what they feel right away. If they’re happy, they giggle. If they’re angry, they scream.

And according to wikipedia:
A child developmental stage which normally occurs around the age of two (but can start earlier) and consists of toddlers often saying no and throwing temper tantrums.

These words – terrible two – have actually threatened me when I first heard there is such label for our toddler when they reach 2. Some mommies in the forum claim that their 20 months old toddies have started their terrible two already and giving them so much headache.

Caleb has recently started to give me some attitudes during meal time. He will want to use his own spoon but when you give him the spoon, he won’t eat but just play with the food! I don’t accept this kind of behaviour. So when he only plays with food and not eating it, I quickly put him down from his chair and take away the bowl. He will cry, of course. And because we usually give him lunch right before his nap, he sometimes threw mini tantrums because he was sleepy. So to avoid this, I change his lunch time after his nap. And replace his snack time at 2.30 pm to 10.30 am, before he naps.

I’m not sure whether this is the sign of terrible two. But I tell myself I have to refuse this. I will not label my son with a terrible two title! Instead, I will stay positive and speak blessings over his 3rd year!

However, be it a terrible twos or threes, we do face our challenges to raise our kid. They do misbehave sometimes. So discipline is necessary. You may refer to my previous post: discipline

No comments: