Thursday, December 9, 2010

Toilet Training

In baby whisperer book, Tracy suggested that we start as early as 9 months old. I did try that but it did not work well so I postponed. I resumed the training when he was 15 months old. But Caleb drinks water a lot! He can drink up to 800ml/day and pee almost every 10 minutes. I postponed it because he seems that he still didn't have the ability to hold, he would just pee right there at the moment he wanted to. However, we actually earned success with poo-ing. It was much easier for poo training because he understood quickly the sensation of going to poo, and poo doesn't come as fast as urine, so he can hold it. He has his time to tell us he is about to do his business and run to the toilet.
We also took Tracy's tips that we should train using toilet seat, and not potty. With potty, you will need to train him again, (another effort and energy), to use the toilet seat later on.
Since then til now, Caleb always poo on the toilet, except when he was having diarrhea due to stomach flu, there were many accidents but after he was recovered, toilet is where he does his business.

Well, today there's a little success. A very good sign. Today out of sudden he just stood still. I asked him what was wrong. He told me "pee".  So I brought him to the bathroom and undressed him quickly, and so he peed. Yippeee!!!

This is a signal for me to resume the training because:
1. He is telling me that he is ready
2. He knows the sensation when he's about to pee
3. He is able to hold it for a while
4. Tracy's book suggest that we should toilet train the kid before he reaches 2, as it would be easier.

Of course after this one time success, he had his accidents again, by peeing on the floor which I already expected he would and that's okay. But honestly it is difficult to have a full-day training as I am now working part time. But tomorrow is weekend and I should be able to do it full day. I plan to not use diaper at all, just like last time. I want him to feel the discomfort of being wet so that he knows that he needs to at least tell me if he's about to pee and we can quickly put him on the toilet.

One mommy who heard my little success story today asked me, how at the first place he would stand still and said "pee", how did he know he was going to pee?
I think my son got the idea because every now and then when he had accidents by peeing on the floor, or when he pee during his bath, I would tell him "oh see...you pee". Maybe he gets the idea from this experience. So I think it's a good idea to make him aware of what peeing is like.

Oh well, I hope I'll be having more success on the training :)

No comments: