Sunday, December 19, 2010

The book helps!

I wanted to write about this since 3 days ago and just so happened today my cousin who just gave birth a month ago, asked me whether it is necessary for her to read any parenting book
I told her that I couldn't really answer the question. Because one may feel that it is a need to gain and equip herself with knowledge by reading or doing researches from books, websites, etc. And one may feel that she can just go on relying on her mom's instincs.
I am number 1 type of mom. I read books, follow parenting websites and blogs, join a motherhood forum. I do so to equip myself with knowledge and gain wisdom because I realize parenting is not an easy job to do. Even with all the books I read, I still wouldn't be able to do it without God's grace.
You can be mom no 2 too, who doesn't read any books to guide you how to raise your children. I believe you can survive too because moms are already equipped by God.

I personally do not regret I had come to find baby whisperer book. It helped gain so much knowledge that I can practically apply on my son. Not all the theories work for me and my son. For example, Caleb still needs my gentle pat to send him to dreamland while in the theory, babies should be able to soothe himself to sleep without our help. Caleb sometimes still asks for night feeding, which actually he should be able to sleep through without milk at all by now.
But some theories really work and I am happy with the result. I wasn't surprised when Caleb was around 8 weeks old and suddenly asked for more frequent bottles of milk than he usually needed. I knew straight away he was going through a growth spurt period which lasted for 3-4 days.
3 months old, when Caleb woke up at dawn around 4am and just went cooing, I knew it was a phase.
4 months old, when he threw out all his milk..pouring out of sudden like a fountain, he was having a mild reflux. the book helped me to have the knowledge so I didn't get panic.

And the book helped me to know the importance of having a routine.
With routine, both I and my baby know what to expect next and therefore, I can organize my time well and know when I can run errands, and have free time for myself, because I know when Caleb is going to eat, nap, awake, etc.
With routine, Caleb knows when is bedtime, meal time, play time, etc. It helps him to prepare himself for what's next.
With routine, Caleb sleeps around the same time every night. When he was a newborn, he slept at 7pm so after 7 I got my free time already. How nice was that right! Now he sleeps around 8. And it is still a good timing, I still have time for myself and for my hubby :)
Sometimes I hear some kids are still playing at the playground around 10pm, sometimes I see a father trying to make his baby sleep by pushing around his stroller at the park around 11pm!! and my hubby told me "i'm just glad you want to read a book, do some research and stick to it. Otherwise, I'd be just like these people. 11 pm at the park, trying to make my son sleepy and go to bed"

The book taught me the importance of having an independent playtime.
It taught me how to toilet train. and many many more...

And today, I would like to thank my dear friend once again...yes, once again. Because I thanked her before and then again some time after that..and now I'm going to do it AGAIN!
I thank you, SYLVIA, for choosing to give me these books as a gift to me. I know you follow my blog and you'll be reading this post. Thank you! You should get these books too for yourself someday when "the good news" come okay :)
Now, have fun in Paris and Estonia. and Merry Christmas dear :)

No comments: