Sunday, December 19, 2010

How do I do it?

I had a friend whom last week was left alone by his maid for holiday. He had to do all the houseworks by himself: cooking, cleaning, laundry, groceries. And he asked me "how did u do it all by yourself last time, Nov?"

haha...he made me remember all those days when I had my first newborn baby and no maid/nanny...and no relatives who lives here in Singapore who can come and help me. I just have my hubby and God to help me! I was freaked out at first! But I survived, I guess! 

Here's what I did:
+ I cleaned the floor everyday. twice a day. Morning and evening.The floor is important for me. Caleb spent most of his time on the floor and on the bed (when he still couldn't walk), so I took a great deal that these 2 had always to be clean.

+ I cleaned decoration item,furniture, and bathroom once a week. Because it would take an hour to complete everything, I did it either at night after caleb was asleep (7pm) or in the morning when my hubby was still around.

+did laundry and ironed clothes once a week. Did laundry with Caleb around. He would play with the hangers :)
and ironed the clothes at night when he was already asleep.

+cleaned the window every 2 weeks. I hate cleaning windows haha... It was tiring and alot of job. Not to mention, the weather! rained after you cleaned them!

+did errands and groceries with Caleb and hubby in the evening, before Caleb's bedtime.

+I didn't cook but order catering food. I salute moms who could manage to cook as well as doing other house chores and raising a baby.

Please take note:
*I have a very active and curious baby who demand my attention hahaha but thank God I managed to do the houseworks too. That's why having a routine on your baby and having independent time for him help you accomplish your house chores.
*I always clean and tidy up Caleb's toys right after he's done playing with them. I would not wait for him to sleep and clean up, although it was easier to do it when he's not going to create another mess, but by doing this in front of your baby, you are actually teaching and encouraging him to clean his own mess. Once he's able to do it, ask him to help you, first by asking him to put 1 piece of toy back to the toy box. Caleb now always puts back whatever he takes from its original place #payoff days! ^^
* I always cleaned the floor when Caleb was awake, mostly at his independent playtime. So he got to see me doing cleaning everyday. Once he could walk, he wanted to have a broom and a mop and helped me clean the floor. I find it sweet and another good achievement and benefit :D

My hubby once commented that he still found the house was much tidier and cleaner when I was in charge, meaning I did a better job than my maid now.
I couldn't blame the maid though. She had to finish all the house chores (cleaning all the rooms, bathrooms, doing laundry, ironing) and cooking before I leave to work in the afternoon. When I'm working, she has to watch over my son. Unlike me who did some of the chores once a week, she did the complete cleaning everyday. But I take it she's not as detail and perfectionist as me.
I can be a perfectionist when I am doing the chores by myself. But I know with the maid, I couldn't be so demanding. As long as she's doing a good job, that's fine with me.

No comments: