Monday, August 3, 2009

being grateful in all situation

My recent post about reflux will have something to do with my story today.

Let me start with my situation 3 days ago.
As you have read my previous posts, you may have understood that I've been cracking my head to solve my son's night waking which suddenly moved backward to worse. I didn't know exactly what caused it. calories? do I need to add more Oz in his milk? but he wouldn't finish it. or is it sleep transition? which I couldn't help it until he learns how to fall asleep on his own (remember that I don't do CIO!) or is it habitual waking? or is it the time to move him to 4 hourly schedule? Tracy hogg said not being in the right routine might cause frequent waking at night. I've been trying so many methods...until on that friday, I finally came to my limit..I'm TIRED with all these...

and then on saturday..
it's worse..
After I bathed caleb (I let him play in the water a little bit longer than usual), I fed him..he took his milk well..until 1 sec after I put the empty bottle on the table, he suddenly vomitted all his milk..making both of our clothes wet and our carpet too! He was crying after that...luckily I still remember to be calm, not to panic..if not,caleb will feel my panicky and will cry even more. so i told him 'it's okay caleb...let mummy clean you now'
After all settled..my brain was browsing through its archives. I did read about reflux in tracy's book. So I had a quick read again. and OMG...all the symptoms are there...those signs that I didn't really bother it's actually the sign of my son having reflux!
For the past 2 weeks, he has difficulties halfway finishing his milk, sometimes he coughs during his feed, he spits up abit of milk 30-60mins after he has his milk, and now..the vomitting!!
Although, reflux is common in babies and it will actually be gone when the digestion matures..I still got so very worried...thinking that on the next few days, we will have to return the maid to ci lina..imagine I have to do more washing due to the vomit...and I have to divide his feeding into 2 (it is advised not to overfeed reflux baby, so feed frequently in small amount of milk) which means more jobs and bottle washing for me!!! imagining it made me so tired already!

But I also had another diagnose. Was it because I let him play in the water too long and then he got wind in his tummy???

oh anyway, I called ci jeanny and consult with her and she said the same thing. it's common. it happened to jethro and it will be gone in a while. I also called my cousin whom I know she had gone through it too with her daughter. So okay..I'm not alone, at least.

that night..he didn't sleep well too. he woke up every 1 hour. most likely due to reflux. maybe he still had tummy upset.

Sunday morning, he vomitted again. I was so sad. is going to be worse?
I decided to skip church. Can't imagine if he vomit again in church and both our clothes soak in milk :(
Anyway, I gave him gripe water. he seemed to be better. he farted alot anyway. maybe it was really the wind and not reflux. and then a few hours after that I gave him chinese medicine Poh Ing Tan (special for upset tummy). Actually after the gripe water, he didn't vomit or spit up for the rest of the days.

up to this moment, I was thinking how I wish to go back to 3 days ago. I don't mind going through 'caleb wakes up every 3 hours at night', I don't mind and prefer this as long as caleb is happy and healthy. you know..I shouldn't complain so much about the night wakings..I should be thankful that despite the night waking, he is always happy, content and healthy during the day.
So I prayed and asked for forgiveness to God.

and that night, a breakthrough happened!
he is sleeping through!!! for 6 hours!!! he woke up at 4 am for milk and then back to sleep again until 6am. really praise God. I think God just wants me to learn a lesson about this reflux, to learn to be grateful in all situation :)
this sleeping through is also because my caleb has really mastered his skill of flipping over! he flipped and slept on his tummy, People say babies do sleep better on their tummies despite of the risk of SIDS. But I'm not worried about that. caleb has strong neck and head control. if he has any discomfort, he knows how to change his head position.

well..Thanks God for everything :)

No comments: