Wednesday, November 24, 2010

know your kid well

In baby whisperer book by Tracy Hogg, she explained that every baby has different character: angel, textbook, spirited, touchy and grumpy.

Caleb is both a textbook, for he always goes by what the books says (milestone on time, dropping nap at the appropriate age as stated in the book, and so on), and also a spirited baby, for he is a very active baby. He only becomes grumpy, easily irritated and gets upset if something is wrong, like when he is not feeling well or when he’s teething. Other than that he is a very sweet, loving, funny toddler. Just fun to be with.

Last week Caleb was down with stomach flu and of course he was a little cranky that time, we understood. But funny thing is after he recovered, for the next 3 days, he was even crankier than when he was sick. He got upset and cried easily. He was just so sensitive. He responded every ‘no’ and ‘mommy not near him’ by crying out loud.

It was weird because he was not sick anymore. A negative thought crossed my mind: the terrible two had started?? But quickly removed it from my mind and convinced myself that there must be something wrong, for I know my son well. He couldn’t just change character in overnight. This was not him, not his old self.

After three days and I suspected he was teething but couldn’t be so sure if he really was, I’ve just had enough with his overly sensitive behaviour. I prayed for him, lay my hand on him and bless him with the spirit of Joy, and rebuke all discomfort that stole his joy away. And after I prayed for him, he went down to playground, and praise God when he retuned home, I just knew that he was back to his old self. Yes, that instantly. By prayer that changes everything. Powerful right?

I was so relieved to see him being the son that I know. I brought him again later on to the park for a walk before bedtime, we met a couple on the lift. Caleb said hi and waved hand to them and smiled. I heard the guy commented how cute and adorable my son was as Caleb and I walked out from the lift. ^_^

Know your kid’s true character so you can tell if he’s just being himself or something is wrong. That way it saves you from assuming the wrong concerns.

No comments: