Friday, July 10, 2009

take one step back

Just found a wonderful blog which explains my questions- well, at least I think this could be my answer!!! yayyy^^

So..I send message to the blogger and told her about caleb case. and she replied me sooner than I thought. she said that it seems that caleb is not ready for a 4 hourly routine (she's also a tracy hogg's reader). I should go back to 3 or 3.5 hourly routine. well, that makes sense!! I think somewhere between last week and this week I misread caleb's sign. when he refused to finish his milk on 3 hourly routine, i thought that he he should be moved to 4 hourly routine. and after i read this blog, she mentioned that some babies in this 3-4months period may not be so hungry in the morning, so feed him on 4 hour duration in the morning but continue with 3 hourly for the rest of the day! well, bener bangettttt caleb pas pagi bangun tidur yang gak mau minum susu...kaya belom laper gitu...dan aku lgs buat kesimpulan..wah caleb skrg uda masuk ke 4 hourly schedule nehhh..

well. the blogger says..not all babies at 4 month old ready for 4 hourly routine..her own baby starts at 7 months old!! hmm yahh maklum lahh saya 1st time mother yg sangat tidak pengalaman dan belajarnya cuma dari buku..yah ngikutin textbook persis deehh hehehe...

anyway, this is what she says on her blog:
So how do you know if your baby is ready?

  1. My first answer to that is, you will just know when your baby is ready. With both of my kids, they moved to 4 hours themselves, I didn't move them. I had to let them, but that is a different post.
  2. Item 2. Baby should be STTN (sleeping through the night). By STTN I mean 12 hours with no feedings. The book, however, says 9-10 hours before moving to a 3.5 hour schedule. Watch your child and do what you think is best.
  3. Item 3. Your baby will likely be taking 5 feedings a day between 7 AM and 7 PM (or 7:30-7:30, depending on your waketime) before you are ready for the 4 hour schedule. 4 hours means 4 feedings. You want to be sure your baby is physically ready. That is why I say don't push. Some women need to do 5 feedings if they are BF (breastfeeding). Watch yourself.
  4. Your baby is always asleep when it is time to eat. This is the biggest sign. Items 2 and 3 are taken care of, and now you watch for item 4. By always I mean most of the time. Some babies (like my Brayden) will be able to have longer wake times and therefore will sleep later. Others (like my Kaitlyn) will have the same waketime length, but just sleep longer for naps. I just wouldn't move to a four hour schedule if the child wasn't sleeping well. If you are entertaining them before mealtime on a 3 hour schedule, imagine what it will be like if you extend it to four hours.
  5. Baby isn't that hungry for each meal eating every three hours. They don't show interest in it.
Let's say your baby can go longer in the morning but not all day, what do you do? I say this is a sign that 4 hours is coming soon. Until then, let baby go 3.5 hours in the morning, then do 3 hours the rest of the day. You can do a combination 3-3.5 or even 3-4 hour schedule.
Don't feel pressured to move to a 4 hour schedule. Don't measure your success by it. Kaitlyn didn't move to 4 hours until she was almost 7 months old, and Brayden was older. They may have gone sooner with pushing, but I let them set the pace and we all were peaceful, happy and relaxed. Don't thrown one more thing into the mix to stress you and and cause you frustration.
-----------------------------------------------------
after reading this, I feel like there's a light of hope that this can be the solution..so tomorrow I'll take one step back! pray for my success!

source- http://babywisemom.blogspot.com/2007/12/when-to-move-to-4-hour-schedule.html

No comments: