Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The wonderful two

Now that Caleb is two, some might wonder how terrible he is entering this 'terrible two' period. It is true that we begin to see the characteristic of a two year old toddler:

1. When he wants it now, it means now. Mostly, he wants mommy! so if mommy doesn't come and do what he wants, he'll scream and yes, tantrums! Kids this age don't understand the meaning of waiting. He doesnt get what "a minute" means.To him, a minute or 5 minutes are the same as NOW.
2. He develops his preference strongly. He wants to wear new shoes to the playground. he wants to wear new sandals for lunch at home. He wants to do certain activity with a certaon people. For example, if he wants to play ball, he'll go looking for his dad or ibu (our helper) and he will not want me to interfere, he'll say "bye bye mommy! mommy go!". At first, I was hurt when I listened those words. I didn't understand what was going on, why he rejected me. I wondered if I didn't spend enough time with me that now he prefered to spend time with others than me. But soon I realized when I was playing blocks and lego and play dough, he was having so much fun with me and he will tell anyone else who try to interfere him "bye bye! go!" lol. And now he knows how to differentiate when to be with mommy, whent o be with ibu. If mommy is at home, he'll demand mommy. But when he sees mommy got dressed up and ready to go, he knows it's time with ibu.
3. He hates being disturbed. If he's engaged, telling him to take shower or brush teeth is a challenge for me now. I have to have a good strategy to make him do what he needs to do. Usually I will take some ice cubes for him to play in the bath room, or bring new cups for him to play water and so on. God grants me creativity please :)

With all these new challenges, I still have other factors that interrupt what I have built since beginning.
It was actually hard to have another care giver in the house. With ibu around, she has interfered with the way I raise my son. There are some values that have been ruined. Reading books are not consistent nowadays. And independent play time is truly very hard these days. It's very sad to see these changes. These are something that I had worked hard since caleb was a baby. But what can I do...this what happens when u return to work and have a helper to take care of our child. Different culture on how we raise our kids play apart. I couldn't bring up this issue as well. I need to close one eye as it's not easy to find a good helper. So far I see that my helper loves my son. She really takes good care of him (on her own way, of course). it's true, she adores my son. I know because she keeps praising him and we all can see that she's proud of my son. She keeps telling good stories to people about how funny and smart Caleb is. I appreciate that.

But apart from all those challenges, I do not want to call it "terrible two". It's still a wonderful two, people! yes it is. Looking at how good the progress that Caleb has achieved so far, we have wonderful moments too!
Do you know that he starts talking alot lately? he's making alot of sentences. He's singing more and more songs now. and it's just cute!!
Yesterday we were playing lego and his daddy came in and tickled mommy (+_+) then my little prince went to his dad, saying " daddy, don't disturb mommy ok!" and gave his dad a pat on the back LOL!! so cute!!!

This morning we were playing dough and i told him after playing dough he has to wash his hands because the dough makes your finger and nail dirty. He then took the dough and threw it to the bin. I was angry because he threw the dough but then I realized it was because I said that playing dough makes his finger and nail dirty so he thought that since dough is dirty, why not throw it to the bin? Hahaha!

Another sweet thing is that he kisses me in the morning :) sweet right?

When I return from work, he sometimes will explain to me what he was just doing before I came. Yesterday he told me "Caleb sleep with ibu just now. Now Caleb wake up already and ibu turn off air con and open window"
I think that's a very long sentences for him to say. I'm very happy with the progress :)

And when he really wants mommy, he'll say something like "mommy stay at home please. caleb don't want mommy go work". This really melts my heart :( I hate to break his heart coz I still need to go to work :(

Another good thing...as I mentioned that lately we have been busy having fun and have many family outings, we realized that nowadays he can stay up late despite that he only took 1 nap during the day. It's really good coz now we can enjoy special occasion without having the need to go home earlier for his bedtime.

No comments: