Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Toilet training

Just a few weeks before caleb's 2 nd birthday, I decided to try another toilet training for him. This time I bought him some underwears. So he was totally diaperless when he was at home. To my surprise, the first day he was on training, he only peed on his pants once! This continued until 2 or 3 days only and since then there were no incident when he wanted to pee but didn't ot too late to tell me. He will always tell if he needs to pee or poo poo. Honestly, I was surprised it turned out to be easy to train caleb. Not only now he can hold the urine longer, it's also because he understands well the feeling or the urge to pee and able to hold it til he's really on the toilet. The next week, he's already diaperless during outing as well. At first I put his diaper when we went out, and when he told me he wanted to pee, I told him to wait and hold it first because there is not toilet here. And he really waited n hold it until we arrived to our destination and then he would pee on the toilet. So since that moment, I only put his diaper when he's in the car or mrt, once we reach to the place that has toilets, I will change him to underwear.
Nowadays, I found his diaper dry throughout the nap time and at night, he will sometime wake up to tell me that he wanted to pee. There are days when he wakes up with dry diapers, although some nights he still peed on the diaper.

I would like to share you my tips on my toilet training. because it doesn't happen just like that. I did toilet training a few times. When he was 18 months and 20 months I did my training too, but didn't work well. I think the problem was because he still couldn't hold it long enough to tell me and for me to bring him to the toilet. Since it was tiring, I usually only tried the training for 2 days. Once I see it's not working yet, I stopped. I take it that he wasnt ready yet. For poo-poo, it's different and a lot easier. We worked on it easily too and had a success many months ago. For peeing, it took longer. But this what we did last time.... I read in Hogg's book that toddlers usually pass urine exactly before he was about to take shower. So my hubby and I took this chance to teach Caleb to feel what it's like to have the urge/feeling to want to pee. Whenever Caleb was about to shower, we would tell him to pee first. After some time I think he got the idea. This really plays a big part on our recent success. That's why on our next training, it was an instant success. I hope this tips help :)

No comments: