Thursday, April 14, 2011

I need His guidance

Yesterday evening we were out to have a walk to the mall nearby and Caleb was with us. Isn't it funny that our toddies always demanded to walk when they were still limb and need us to support them to cruise around, and now when they are already so expertise in walking, they demand to be in mommy's arms all the time, refusing to walk alone? This what happens to Caleb..whenever we are out the house, he will automatically want me to carry him. and he is smart as well! I once told him "mommy is tired, Caleb..Can you walk?" and this is how he replied me "ok. daddy carry caleb please".
Another time I told him the same thing when daddy wasn't around, he replied me "mommy tired, Caleb also tired", and by that he meant that mommy had to carry him all the way. Sigh...

Recently I have a new tactic and it works. I will tell him that we will go home now if he insist to be carried. This works and he will walk, holding my hands.
But yesterday as this incident happened, there was an old lady who was jogging along the park and heard our conversation. She approached us and commented to my little prince "yes, you need to walk and cannot ask mommy to carry you all the time. Walking is good to exercise your muscles. You see...aunty also walk and run, it's good for me". And this old woman who seemed to know children well asked me how old my son is and said "do you know that between 2-3 years old is the important period when you as a parent cannot let your child control you?"
Although I know and equipped with this knowledge, this woman brought me another wake up call. I realized that maybe i have been more lenient. Both hubby and I then discussed how important it is to discipline our kid at this age. It's like when you do what you need to do now, although it won't be easy, after 3 yo it won't be so bad anymore because caleb would understand his boundaries well.

And later after that incident, we went out for supper with some close friends after caleb was asleep. And because four of us have children, we talked about our kids as well and we talked about our friends' kids who now grow up tp be teenagers and to our suprise these teens have grown to be rebellious with very bad attitude problem, despite that their parents are dedicated God's people. We talked how could that happen. Is it because lack of discipline, being too protective towards their kids, too lenient? we do not know. But for me, I realized how hard it is to raise our kids, build their godly character, to see them become righteous people who fear God and respect their parents. It's not just a matter of having good financial to send them to good school, feed them or dress them well. Somehow I feel so humble, I feel that I have a lot of weakness and in need of God's wisdom. Now all I want to do is to always pray to God everyday for His wisdom to guide me so that I can raise my kids well. I hope you all will be encouraged to do so. let's humble ourselves and ask God to take control of everything.


p.s. To my friend Sylvia...Congrats dear for your pregnancy. I pray you have smooth pregnancy and delivery! Take care :)

No comments: