Saturday, October 10, 2009

out of the book (wk 5 on solid)

previously I had a schedule set for caleb's feed...this is according to tracy hogg's schedule sample:

7AM : Milk
8AM: breakfast
11AM: Milk
1PM: lunch
3PM: Milk
5PM: dinner
6.30PM: Milk
10.30PM: Milk

but there are many this and that..and I know I have to be flexible in order to get the right schedule for caleb. I decided to make some changes.

My reason is..

because caleb was only eating 2tbsp of cereal..I feel this is not considered eating alot.
I gave him 150ml before his cereal.
a friend said that if the time difference between milk feeding and his meal is too close, baby won't take the meal so much because he will be too full.
I did try to reduce more of the ml, but caleb still wouldn't eat so much.
I suspect that he must be bored with cereals, or actually he's never been a fan of it from beginning??

and then on sunday..I heard from jordan's nanny that jordan also started refusing to eat his cereals. and so she started making homemade porridge and jordan loved it.
I decided to give it a try the next day.

and Ta..da...caleb loves...loves it!! he finished the whole meal..
at first I thought I made the porridge too much (it was 1/2 big bowl of porridge - my (adult) bowl)..and I thought this could make 2 portions..but to my surprise, he finished it all!
and it's been 6 days..he still loves the porridge I make for him.

Oh the new schedule now is:
6.45AM/7AM : 180ml milk
10.30/10.45AM: lunch (porridge)
11.45AM: 90ml milk
3PM: 135ml milk
4.30PM: cereal&puree
6.30PM: 180-210ml milk

for the porride..I decided to follow 4 day rule for 1 recipee..since I also start using homemade chicken stock..I"d like to check if caleb is okay to take it and will not cause any allergic reaction.

As you see that I only feed 2 meals to caleb. I'm thinking to continue this until he's 8 months old..then he will be having breakfast, lunch and dinner. and I might stop giving cereal for dinner once he's 7 months..I will give 2x porridge in a day.

and for the milk..I reduced the 150ml to 90 ml and 135ml. Caleb always finished it well.
remember that once your baby starts solids, milk is still his primary food. and although milk intake will reduce at the time he's taking solids, please maintain that milk intake is not below 500ml/day.

I decided to stop dream feed (11pm) but caleb was still waking up for a habit..and yesterday he woke up crying, I gave him 45ml but he was still crying. He must be on growth spurt. so hubby and I decided to start giving him the dream feed again tonight..at least, until caleb has started 2x meals of porridge..then we know for sure that he has enough calories to go through the night.

No comments: